and Work: Preparing for the Fourth Industrial Revolution
The Fourth Industrial Revolution
We’re at the beginning of what some analysts call The Fourth Industrial Revolution—sometimes referred to as Industry 4.0—the marriage of advanced manufacturing techniques with Artificial Intelligence knows many different definitions, but in general it can be defined as a machine completing complex tasks intelligently, meaning that it mirrors human intelligence and evolves with time. () and the Internet of Things (IoT). The goal is to produce a hyper-efficient, automated, interconnected system capable of communicating, analyzing, and using information to drive progress.
There’s a lot of talk about the impact of Industry 4.0 on jobs and the future of work. It’s a newsworthy topic that has made its way into the daily media cycle, particularly as some investors predict more automation and fewer jobs in the future.
What is ?
is not a discrete technology. It’s a constellation of technologies that mimic behaviors and cognitive abilities associated with humans, such as rationalizing, reasoning, problem-solving and .
Being able to sense, comprehend, and automatically act upon what is learned—without being explicitly programmed to do so—is what makes more powerful than traditional computing technologies.
Some of the most popular technologies are:
- Recognition — transforms human to text and other machine-readable formats
- Natural Language Processing (NLP) is the part of the technology world concerned with language. Natural language means that the language is produced by or for humans. This website for example is all written in natural language. NLP ranges from speech recognition, to language synthesis, it also involves tasks such as machine translation or information retrieval. and Text Analytics — makes it possible for computers to understand sentence structure, intent, meaning, and sentiment
- Machine Systems — An algorithm is a fixed set of instructions for a computer. It can be very simple like "as long as the incoming number is smaller than 10, print "Hello World!". It can also be very complicated such as the algorithms behind self-driving cars. that learn and make predictions based on patterns in data
- Decision Management — automated decision-making engines
- Virtual Agents — chat A bot is a piece of code, which does a predefined set of actions on behalf of someone. Bots are used to manage Twitter Followers, they answer email requests or order more supplies as soon a certain item runs low. and more advanced personal assistants like Amazon’s and Apple’s Siri is with you already. There’s no escape.